In the fall of 1920, Rev. Claude Cummings and a few people came together, and the Triumph Missionary Baptist Church was organized. Through prayer and faith, the church was able to strive and continue growing. In 1924, while located underground in a wood frame building at 515 Holford Street, in River Rouge, MI, the church was incorporated.
Previous pastors were Rev. L.A Forte, Rev. Rosbrior, Rev. F. Freeman, Rev. Scott, and Rev. G.W Sims. During the years of 1941-1942, the Lord sent Rev. A.D. Boone, Jr. to pastor Triumph. Rev. Boone had been a member of Triumph since 1922 – serving as Choir Director and President of the Baptist Training Union. In 1941, he was ordained to the Gospel Ministry. Triumph Missionary Baptist Church, a family church, prospered under his leadership. A traditional crowning of King and Queen was held every year for members of Triumph. In 1951, Rev. John Maddox was ordained as a Minister of the Gospel by Rev. Boone. In 1952, Rev. Boone also ordained Rev. Clarence C. Davie as a Minister of the Gospel.
The Boone Years
In 1954, under the leadership of Rev. Boone, members marched into a new underground edifice, located at 2550 S. Liddesdale in Detroit, MI. Members were escorted to the new church by the River Rouge Police Department. New auxiliaries were established at the new edifice –including The Altar Circle, who were responsible for the upkeep of the pulpit. They were also responsible for Communion Services. The Alter Circle placed covers on chairs for the new members to signify the kindness and comfort of Triumph. Mrs. Boone was president of the newly organized Baptist Young People Union (BYPU), which provided Baptist training ministries for the youth of the church. In the late 1950s, Rev. G.S. Davie was also ordained as a Minister of the Gospel by Rev. Boone.
On December 4, 1969, a busy life came to a close. God sent for Rev. Boone to come home. Rev. Freeman administered the services until God chose another pastor for the Triumph Church.
The DeYampert Years
In June, 1970, the Lord sent Dr. David A. DeYampert, Sr. to pastor the Triumph Missionary Baptist Church. Under his progressive leadership, Triumph met several milestones. Members raised money for a new edifice by hosting several fund raising events, including The Mystery Box Lunch, Mystery Trip, The Miss Triumph Beauty Pageants and Tom Thumb Weddings. Through these efforts, $50,000 was raised for Triumph's Building Fund.
The church needed additional land in order to build. Triumph Missionary Baptist Church entered into a Lease Agreement with L.J. Rodgers and Lula B. Rodgers. These members owned the house next door to the church and provided the additional land that was needed. A Lease Agreement was made February 19, 1974, and ends February 19, 2074. One dollar per year was to be paid annually for 100 years.
Construction for a new edifice began in March 197 4. Pictures were taken while the building was being constructed. These pictures were referred to as Progress of Broken Pieces. Services were held at Northrup School, now known as Charles B. Sabbath School on Frazier Street in River Rouge until the new building was completed.
The members of Triumph M.B.C. had great faith. The old church was torn down before applying for a bank loan. When the bank asked why, the members declared, "We've come this far by faith." On July 9, 1974, certain officers of the Triumph Church applied for a bank loan. After three days, on July 12, 197 4, a loan of $96,000 was approved for a term of 15 years. The individuals who signed for the loan were, Rev.
DeYampert, Pastor; Leroy Jackson, Chairman of the Trustee Board; Lucius Murray, Building Fund Committee Chairman; and Lomax Boyd, General Church Financial Secretary.
The dream of a new church had come to pass. Members marched into this new edifice on the fifth Sunday in September of 1974. Members were escorted by the Detroit Police Department. Some came by caravan, and others come on foot. They came to praise God and give Him glory for the new Triumph Church.
The Furniture Committee raised enough money to purchase furniture for the sanctuary including: the podium, pulpit, organ, chairs and pews. Committee members, who are still members today, worked with the architect to design the panel and cross that is in the church furniture here today.
The Women of Triumph organized a Kitchen Committee. The committee purchased a stove at $1,500 on faith. They borrowed money from their spouses to pay for the stove. The committee hosted a dinner to pay their spouses, and $1,600 was raised. They later held a kitchen shower to furnish the kitchen and requested donations for can goods to stock the kitchen.
First Lady, Mrs. DeYampert, served as president of the Youth Department. She was also instrumental in organizing additional choirs. There were five choirs: The Celestial Choir, The Junior Voices of Triumph, The Senior Choir, The Male Chorus, and The Pastor's Chorus. The combined choirs were known as The Excelsior Choir. Over the years, the names of the choirs and the faces have changed.
Under the leadership of Rev. David A. DeYampert, Sr., membership increased from 300 to over 1200. Rev. David DeYampert, Jr., Rev. David O'Dell, Rev. Johnnie Bonner, Rev. Major Carter, and Rev. John DeYampert were ordained as Ministers of the Gospel by Rev. DeYampert.
In 1988, members pledged to pay off the mortgage. In June 1988, the mortgage was paid in full, and a mortgage burning ceremony was held that same year.
In the late 1980s, Triumph experienced difficult times which included a decline in membership, dissolution of auxiliaries and personal tragedies for the DeYampert family. By the mid-1990s, Rev. DeYampert's health began to fail. Even in the midst of adversities and while in bad health, Rev. DeYampert continued to labor for the kingdom. Despite these challenges, Triumph continued to make improvements for the enhancement of the worship experience by purchasing a Hammond C-3 church organ and replacing the roof on the church in June 1997.
On July 2, 1997, after laboring unceasingly and enduring as a good soldier, the Lord called Rev. David A. DeYampert, Sr. home. Matthew 25:21 ''Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord."
The Kinloch Years
On March 22, 1998, the Lord blessed Triumph M.B.C. with Rev. Solomon W. Kinloch, Jr. as our Pastor. He was formerly the Assistant Pastor of New Bethel Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. Robert Smith, Jr.
Before the beginning of Rev. Kinloch's pastorage, Triumph's membership had slipped to an all-time low with less than 100 people calling Triumph home. However, with his visionary leadership, the church took on a new life. In Rev. Kinloch's first year, Triumph completed many renovations (internal and external) to the church, updated its office equipment, and created new ministries. The Mission Ministry began providing for those in need by supplying holiday baskets and emergency assistance. A New Members class started, and a quarterly Meet Your Leaders breakfast session was held to introduce new members to the ministry offerings and the respective leaders. The church began awarding the first Rev. David A. DeYampert scholarships to graduating high school seniors who were enrolling in college. Members began canvassing the neighborhood to invite residents to join the re-energized Triumph Baptist Church in worship. More importantly, there was an increased emphasis on Christian Education with a reinvigorated Sunday School, Bible Study, lectures and seminars designed for church leaders.
Despite the significant improvements made to the Liddesdale location, these improvements could not keep pace with the growing membership. In just a few years, Triumph's membership had increased exponentially. After being forced to hold services at the nearby River Rouge High School, Triumph outgrew that facility also. Pastor Kinloch implemented multiple services back at the Liddesdale location in an effort to accommodate all who were attending Sunday Worship services at Triumph Church. The Allen Park Municipal Auditorium was also used for a short while for worship services – until Triumph also outgrew this facility.
After being faced with this blessed dilemma, God gave Rev. Kinloch the vision to transition Triumph into a multi-site church by creating the “Spiritual Beltway: One Church in Multiple Locations.” The plan was to have four to six campuses to the north, south, east and west of the City of Detroit fully functioning by 2014.
The church marched triumphantly into the Village Theatre in Canton and the new Cass Technical High School in 2006. But again, within a few years, Triumph had outgrown both of those facilities. In 2008, the Canton service moved to Salem High School, which had the most seats in Canton Township. Triumph also had it final Sunday worship at Cass Technical High School in 2009.
In April 2009, Triumph Church witnessed another move of God when an agreement was signed to purchase the former Second Ebenezer Church, a 29,000 square foot facility, which became known as Triumph Church - East Campus. A few months later, while hosting its Friends & Family Day at Chene Park, Rev. Kinloch announced that beginning in January 2010, Triumph would call the Detroit Opera House its new home. Triumph had the intentions of remaining in the Detroit Opera House, referred to internally as Triumph Church - Downtown Campus, for two years while it put the finishing touches on building its North Campus in Southfield and its new permanent West Campus in Canton. Triumph expected to complete and move into its North Campus in 2012 and its West Campus in 2013.
Who knew that God's expectations included moving Triumph into its new homes sooner? That is because Southfield and its performing arts center, the Millennium Centre, came calling and offered to be the longterm home of Triumph Church for its North Campus. Nearly two years ahead of schedule and millions of dollars saved, Triumph Church's North Campus became a reality in June 2010. But God was not finished with his provision for Triumph Church. In December 2010, Triumph was blessed with the opportunity to purchase the former Agape Christian Church and its adjoining academy in Canton, complete with a worship area, 17 classrooms, and 17 offices. The Spiritual Beltway was growing!
Every year since 2008, the Christian publication Outreach Magazine, has named Triumph Church one of the Fastest Growing Churches in the United States. Since 2012, the same publication has named Triumph one of the Top 100 Largest Churches in America. There are no signs of that trend slowing down as the church welcomes nearly 400 new members each month.
Extraordinary growth and dynamic leadership has helped drive Triumph's community outreach and ministry initiatives that focus on ‘being the hands and feet of Christ on earth’. Triumph regularly holds various free community workshops that promote the health of the whole being -- supporting healthy financial, mental, physical and spiritual living.
During the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, Triumph Church has continued to grow. Under the direction of our visionary Senior Pastor, Rev. Solomon W. Kinloch, Jr., Triumph seamlessly transitioned to live streaming of worship services – allowing members and friends to worship virtually in their homes or in via our drive-in at the North Campus. Additionally, Triumph Church began broadcasting worship services on local NBC, CBS and ABC affiliated channels.
The future of Triumph Church is bright and we are excited to see where God leads us next!